Articles from Dillon Tribune           1887                   Dillon, Montana
To Search, choose the CTRL and F button, it will bring up a menu for you to do your research. Type in the name you are researching.
1887 JAN 07
   Argenta has not witnessed such a  round of festivities in years has occurred within the past weeks.  On Christmas night the club gave a hop in the hall, and on the following Thursday night one was given which lasted till five o’clock the next morning.  Supper was given by Mrs. Geo. Perkins.  Again, on New Year’s night, another party was given by the young men for the benefit, as pleasure rather, of Will Chisholm who succeeded in making himself so agreeable to some of the young ladies, that most of the boys think it an unwise policy to give entertainment for young men from Glendale or elsewhere.


      The hearing in the Harding appeal case came before the Supreme Court this morning.  The following points were offered to sustain a demand for the reversal of the judgment in the lower court:

      First.  That the grand jury that indicted the defendant was not a legal one, for the reason that one member, Lambert Eliel, was not a citizen of the United States, consequently not competent to act as such juror.  Further, that such juror was made and became a citizen of the United States after the finding of the indictment against said Harding.

      Second.  That the indictment was not signed by district Attorney Pemberton as required by law, and that the court erred in permitting the appointment of United States District Attorney Robt. B. Smith to prosecute the case, and by whom the indictment is signed as prosecuting attorney pro tem.  Further, that the court had no authority in law for making such an appointment.

      Third.  Errors in refusing certain instructions offered by the defendant, to go before the jury.

      Fourth.  For denying the first application of the defendant the right of continuance on the grounds of absence of important witnesses, much to the detriment of his case, and only allowing him twenty-four hours in which to plead, and about forty-eight hours thereafter in which to proceed to trial.

      We have not yet heard whether the defendant’s cause has been remanded for a new trial or not.  Those familiar with the law say that the first two points made by Campbell, Harding’s counsel, are strong ones.



Glendale. Jan 6th, 1887

To the Editor of the Dillon Tribune:

      The presentation of the drama of “Esmeralda” by the Glendale Dramatic Club on New Year ’s Eve was a grand success, financially and otherwise.  Two and three quarter hours were taken to present the play.  Over two hundred delighted spectators witnessed its production, and demonstrated their pleasure in round after round of applause.  The main part of the audience came out through curiosity  but went away truly the friends of the Club.  Congratulations were showered upon the actors, who are so pleased at their success that each one wears an eighteen karat smile.  The different parts were so well taken that I cannot speak of one without speaking of all.

      The dance after the play was an enjoyable affair.  The old year was danced out and the new in, notwithstanding some objection to “round dancing.”  Speaking of round dancing, reminds me of the time a Catholic priest of Indianapolis, Ind., issued his mandate forbidding all round dancing at a picnic  He stood upon the platform, a young lady member of his church by his side to post him as to the style of the dance.  The young lady said, “Father, they wish to dance a polka.”  He announced the dance and said, “You may dance anything but round dances.”  Then followed in order the waltz, mazurka, etc., but as no “round dance” was indulged in, he was satisfied, and I presume the objectors here are in the same boat with the good father.

      Who was the candidate that camped our in the corner of the fence on New Year’s night?  Don’t all answer at once.

      Allen McDonald and Peter Avare have bought out Elzy Murray’s blacksmith shop.  Elzy threatens to become an honest granger and dream away his remaining peaceful days, listening to his bonds drawing interest.

      Our democrat postmaster is on the road to wealth.  He reports the receipt of the whole sum of thirty-six cents one day last week.  He is decidedly in favor of “turning the rascals out.”

      “Billy, the butcher,” says he will move over to Madison county shortly.  Sweet hearts are scarce in Glendale.  His favorite color is chestnut sorrel.

      Jacob Schoenaner (no extra charge for spelling his name) is reported to be on good terms with John G. Schmidt “mit the yunction” I guess some lady relative has something to do with the unusual kindness on the part of Jacob towards John G.

      I understand that Gaffney & Purdum, of Melrose, have disposed of their interest in the Hecla Mercantile & Banking Co.

      Our public school opened up on Monday last with Mrs. R.J. Sholes in charge.

      The Glendale Dramatic club have formed themselves into a permanent organization and have elected the following officers:  Mrs. R.Z. Thomas, president; J.H. Teal, vice-president; Henry Brown, Secretary; Ralph E. Dutch, Treasurer.

      Steve Hobden and Ben Atwater, on the evening of Jan 4th, vacated the place that has known them so long, and pulled out for Helena.  Our loss is the latter’s gain.  A misty atmosphere tells me to refrain from pursuing this subject further.

      Our coasters are having fun with their sleds and toboggans from the rink down to main street and also from “Humbug-hill” down to the said street.  Oh!  Would that we were boys and girls again.

1887 JAN 14

The Supreme Court Refuses the Murderer a New Trial.

      As announced in the last issue of the Tribune, the appeal case of Harding, the murderer of Geo. Ferguson, the Glendale stage driver, was argued before the Supreme Court Thursday of last week.  The points upon which Harding’s counsel asked for a reversal of the decision of the lower court were as follows:

      First.  That the grand jury that indicted the defendant was not a legal one, for the reason that one member, Lambert Eliel, was not a citizen of the United States, consequently not competent to act as such juror.  Further, that such juror was made and became a citizen of the United States after the finding of the indictment against Harding.

      Second.  That the indictment was not signed by district Attorney Pemberton as required by law, and that the court erred in permitting the appointment of United States Attorney Robt B. Smith to prosecute the cast, and by whom the indictment is signed as prosecuting attorney pro tem.  Further, that the court had no authority in law for making such an appointment.

      Third.  Errors in refusing certain instructions offered by the defendant, to go before the jury.

      Fourth.  For denying the first application of the defendant the right of continuance on the grounds of absence of important witnesses, much to the detriment of his case, and only allowing him twenty-four hours in which to plead, and but forty-eight hours thereafter in which to proceed to trial.

      The case was taken under advisement by the Supreme Court, and on Monday the decision of the lower court was affirmed by Chief Justice Wade and associate Justice McLeary, associate Justice Back dissenting.  The sheriff will carry out the execution on Friday, Jan 21st, unless the governor of the territory exercise his right of pardon.  Wednesday morning J.H. Duffy, of the firm of Campbell & Duffy, counsel for Harding, went to Helena to see the Governor to endeavor to obtain a respite of 60 days to enable them to bring the matter before the Supreme Court of the United States on motion for a new trial.

      We have not yet heard whether the respite  has been granted, but it is highly improbably that the governor will under the circumstances interfere.



      Geo. E. Tarbell, of Lion City, made us a short  call, Wednesday.

      Rev. O.W. Mintzer, of Salmon City, is in town, and called on the Tribune Wednesday.  He is a part owner of the Pine Creek mine, situated about forty miles from Salmon City.  A company under the title of Pine Creek Mining Company, consisting of W.H. Elliott, President, Wm. B. Wood, Treasurer, Wm. W. Wood, Secretary and Mr. Mintzer, Manager, has been organized to thoroughly develop the property.

1887 JAN 21



      Last Sunday, our Glendale correspondent writes us, a fire was discovered in H.W. Brown’s photo gallery.  The boys put it out before it made any headway.

      People are asking whether our judicial system is better than the old time methods of dispensing justice.  In Harding’s case the “mills of the gods are grinding slow” - too slowly we fear.



The Prisoner Reprieved for Thirty Days by the Governor.

      Last Monday, Governor Hauser granted a reprieve of thirty days to Harding, the Glendale stage robber, who was to have been hung today, in order to permit his attorneys, Campbell & Duffy, to apply to the Supreme Court of the United States for a new trial.  The prisoner’s counsel will proceed shortly to Washington, to present his case before the U.S. Supreme court, though there is little hope that the court will take the case under consideration, and Harding’s attorneys themselves think that their only chance of success lies in the writ of certiorari.

      Harding’s counsel have been most persistent in their efforts to save him, and though the prisoner himself is without money, it is said that they are backed by wealthy officials in New York, where Harding’s people live.  In case the U.S. Supreme court takes the case under consideration, it is probable that the President will grant a further reprieve.

      The Helena Independent says that application has been made to Governor Hauser for the offer of a reward for the apprehension and conviction of the second man involved in the crime in which Harding is convicted.  There was an accomplice with Harding at the time of the shooting, and he has never been apprehended.  It is rumored here that some clue has been obtained to the robber, and it only remains for the authorities to offer a reward to insure his arrest.

Masonic Installation.

      Last Saturday, the Glendale Lodge No. 23, A.F. and A.M. held a special meeting, and under the guidance of Deputy Grand Master, J.C. Keppler the following officers were installed:
W.M. - Geo. E. Tarbell

S.W. - David Evans.

J.W. - Robt. M. Bateman.

Treas. - P.P. Roth.

Sec. - E.R. Alward.

J.D. - Fred P. Smith

T.S. - Thos.Martin.

Tyler. - John F. Lingley

Joseph Keppler, the popular jeweler of Anaconda, was in town this week.


      Henry Pond, of Glendale, was in town Tuesday.

      Ozias Willis came in from Birch Creek the first of the week.

      Dr. H. Schmalhausen was up from Glendale the first of the week.  He intends to remove to Virginia, where he has purchased a drug store.



Glendale, Jan. 12, 1887

To the Editor of the Dillon Tribune:

      “Fringe or no fringe cards” is the chief topic of conversation here, all hands taking part in the discussion.

      My black eye?  Oh!  My excuse for that is that one of the pool players tried to pocket the ball in the said eye.  If that is not believed, I’ll invent another.

      The Dramatic Club, at the invitation of C.M. Sholes, took a sleigh ride on Sunday evening.  On their return trip, the jolly crew supped at T.M. Robbins’ hotel at Melrose, and enjoyed themselves hugely.

      Hay is selling here at $30 per ton at retail. Ranchmen are selling by the load at the rate of $20 per ton cash.  Wood sells for $6.00 per cord and on account of the heavy snow drifts in and to the timber, is becoming somewhat scarce.

      McLain and McCoy are delivering charcoal at the smelter.  As fast as a kiln becomes empty, it is filled with wood ready for firing again.  Tom Sappington has one set of his kilns fired up and is now emptying the other set and delivering the same at the smelter.

      The heavy winds prevent the fair sex from indulging in coasting on these beautiful moonlight nights, but the kids, aged all the way from 5 to 50 years, are having plenty of sport  out of the “luxurious” snow.  By the way, the snow has drifted so at Vipond park that James Bateman has withdrawn his wood teams.

      A few days ago I overheard several ladies of the Orcas society discussing the relative merits of the different papers published  in Dillon and Butte.  They finally selected one as their choice (I will not give its name.  Of course it was not the Tribune) because “it pushed up so easily,” meaning I presume that the softness and pliability of the paper rendered it an excellent material for bustles.

      Well, I’m in trouble again.  The night of Jan. 6th was extremely cold and to make matters worse the fires went out, and on building them up in the morning I was amused at  the behavior of the parlor flowers.  The warmer the room became, the more the ends of the twigs and leaves bowed.  My amusement, however, was short lived.  Mrs. Z. and the little Z’s came upon the scene, and began to chorus, “why, papa has let all the flowers freeze.”



1887 JAN 28



Glendale.  Jan. 26th, 1887

To the Editor of the Dillon Tribune:

      John T. Murphy & Co.’s Telephone and Express office is now located at the livery stable with A.L. Pickett as general manager.

      Drinking “Moxie” (three bottles to the man) and guessing on the number of beans in a jar is the main business in Glendale at present.

      Our old friend John A. Hecker left here, for his home (last evening) at Dubuque, Iowa.  His friends were sorry to part with him and wished him success in his eastern home

      The social dance given by Mrs. Lemon opposite the M.E. Church last night was well attended.  A right jovial time was had and enjoyed by all until 4 o’clock this a.m.

      N. Ladoux has gone over to Butte to spend (money) a few days.  I missed him badly today and I wished to interview him for the benefit of the Tribune; he generally pans out well.

      Several hundred (more or less) boys are running at large in this town.  Their owners had better take them in out of the cold.  An awful growl is being made in regard to the same by some of the citizens.

      The cattle interest in this part or the country seems to be suffering somewhat from the long cold spell and deep snow.  Several steers are lying dead between here and Melrose, and I have heard of other dead cattle in this section.

      Yesterday was pay day for the Hecla boys.  And right glad were they to even get hold of a small pittance to apply on their indebtedness.  The merchants received their allowance with the saying, “small favors thankfully received.”

      The Vanwart brothers have the contract for dumping the slag for the Hecla Co.  they are using the creek bed back of the old Avery House for a dump.  It should have been filled up years ago - the unsightly hole is a disgrace to any town.  I am pleased to see the improvement being made.

      There is a debating club organized among the mines on Lion Mountain.  The following resolution is to be subject tonight:  Resolved - “That American Industry can compete with foreign commerce without the aid of a protective tariff.”  The party having the affirmative in the above question has my most sincere sympathy.


Harding’s Supposed Accomplice Arrested.

      We reported several weeks ago that the officers were on the track of the accomplice of Harding, the Glendale stage robber.

      Last night Sheriff Jones brought in the man supposed to be the accomplice.  Several days ago the sheriff wired Marshal Jolly, at Butte, to arrest a man there by the name of Michael Kennedy, which was promptly done, but a description of the person wanted, which was afterwards sent, proved that he had arrested the wrong man.  Wednesday Sheriff Jones went up to Butte and with Jolly arrested a man by the name of Michael C. Kennedy, who answered the description, on the charge of being an accessory to the murder.  He is a miner, and is supposed to have been in hiding at Butte ever since the time of the robbery.  It is said that he is the man who fired upon Jim Murray when he attempted to capture the robbers.

      Kennedy is safely lodged in the jail.  The sheriff is of course reticent as to the clue which lead to the prisoner’s identification.

1887 FEB 04

They Believe Him Innocent.

      Kennedy, who was arrested in Butte, last week, and brought to Dillon, charged with complicity in the murder of the Glendale stage driver, has many friends in that town who claim that he is entirely innocent, and that he has been arrested so as to enable Harding to get a further stay of proceedings.  The Miner states that Patrick Mullen (at whose house Kennedy was arrested) has know Kennedy since the spring of 1879, and that he has worked for him (Mullen) for two years of the time.  As to the statements published, of his being a hard case and coming here from Nevada, Mr. Mullen says that Kennedy never was in that state, nor was he at Philipsburg.  He is represented as a very industrious man - a hard working miner.  That instead of associating with the drinking, vicious class of men, to the contrary, his associates were of the opposite class.

      Kennedy was to have had an examination today, but it has been postponed to Monday forenoon at 10 o’clock.

1887 FEB 11


Kennedy’s Preliminary Hearing - His Former Mistress Testifies Against Him.

      Michael C. Kennedy, arrested a few weeks since, upon the charge of being an accomplice to Thos. H. Harding in the murder of George Ferguson, the Glendale-Melrose stage driver, had his preliminary examination Monday, before H.R. Melton, probate Judge.  Wm. Scallon, of Butte, appeared for the defendant; W.S. Barbour, county attorney, and R.B. Smith, U.S. attorney, for the prosecution.  A number of witnesses testified.  The principal witness for the prosecution was Ida Bates, Kennedy’s former mistress, who swore that he told her all about the murder, how it was done and who was present at the killing.  The defense tried to prove an alibi.  After the lawyers finished their argument, Judge Melton concluded to hold Kennedy, without bail, to await the action of the grand jury.  The prisoner’s counsel will apply for a writ of habeas corpus on the ground that the evidence did not warrant the finding.

1887 FEB 18



The Governor Grants Harding Another Lease of Life.

      Harding certainly has a pair of industrious attorneys working for him, and if his neck does not escape the noose it will not be because of anything they have left undone to save him.  Their efforts in his behalf are well know, and it was not much of a surprise to Dillonites when it was announced that the Governor had granted a further reprieve of four weeks.  J.H. Duffy went to Helena last week and made a requisition upon Governor Leslie for an additional reprieve for the criminal to apply to the supreme court of the United States for a writ of habeas corpus and certiorari.  The former respite was granted for the purpose of appealing to the aforesaid court, but it was discovered that appeal to that tribunal would not stand, hence the latter method was adopted.  Upon that showing the Governor granted the further desired respite until Friday, March 25th, pending which date the necessary documents must be prepared and forwarded to Washington.  The filing of the papers in the United States supreme court will prove a stay to the further execution of justice until the case is finally disposed of in that court, which may take several months.

1887 MAR 25




Efforts for Reprieve Kept Up Until the Last - Demeanor of the Prisoner During His Last Moments - No Confession Made - First Legal Hanging in Beaverhead County.

      Friday, March 25th was the last day on earth for Thomas H. Harding, condemned to die on the gallows for the murder of George Ferguson, the Glendale stage driver, last May, the particulars of which are fresh in the minds of our readers.

      Up to the last moments his attorneys had not ceased their efforts for reprieve or commutation of sentence, but the governor refused to do anything in the matter.

      Father Dols informed him, last night, of the governor’s decision.  Harding remarked that it was “d--- sudden.”  The prisoner was awake early, indeed he slept but little.  About nine o’clock he ate a hearty breakfast and at ten was shaved for the last time, by Brownie, the barber.  He told Brownie not to be too particular, as it was his last shave.

      Mr. Duffy, his counsel, called upon him and told him there was no hope.  He received the news with apparent indifference.  He passed the morning in conversation with Father Dols, his counsel and others.

      At 2:30 Harding was led from the jail by Father Dols, accompanied by the Sheriff, and taken to the corner of the yard where the gallows was erected.  The prisoner was dressed in a neat suit of black, wore slippers and was hatless.  The scaffold was soon reached.  Harding was cool and collected, he did not show any signs of nervousness, or fear though he was very pale.  He stepped naturally to the gallows and stopped beneath the dangling rope.  Sheriff Jones pinioned his legs and arms and adjusted the noose, which was of 5/8 inch cotton rope.  The Sheriff advanced to the front of the prisoner and repeated the death warrant, after which he asked Harding if he had anything to say, to which Harding said: “I forgive everybody.”  At 2:35 the 290 pound (a box of sheet tin) weight fell and Harding shot up with a jerk that broke his neck.  In six minutes his heart ceased to beat.  He was left hanging some time longer before he was cut down and placed in his coffin.

      The space around the instrument of death was occupied by the officials and spectators.  Outside was a crowd of men watching and waiting for the awful moment to arrive.  The crowd was kept away from the jail fence by armed guards.

      The coffin was furnished by the Dillon Furniture Co.          

      Father Dols remained with the condemned man until the last moment and gave him what consolation he could.

      Drs. Pickman and Leason were the physicians in attendance; the former designed the gallows, which is the style known as the New York gallows.

      Harding was reprieved three times.  He was refused a new trial in the District Court, and the Supreme Court of Montana sustained the decision of the lower court.  A plea for habeas corpus was made to the U.S. Supreme Court, which refused to consider the case.  This week another application for the writ of habeas corpus was made to Judge Galbraith without avail: also application to the governor and president for another respite, with like results.  The case has attracted attention all of the inter-mountain country.  Harding was 30 years of age, and was born near Cohoes, N.Y.

1887 APR 22

      Deputy Sheriff Park returned to Dillon last night with a man named Charles Brenner who was arrested at South Boulder charged with stealing a horse belonging to Jos. A. Browne.  Brenner offered no resistance when arrested.

      Mrs. R.J. Sholes, of Glendale, while on a visit to Blackfoot, Idaho, recently, gave a temperance entertainment to a good sized audience.  The Reporter (the local paper) spoke highly of the entertainment.  Mrs. Sholes is a member of the W.C.T.U., of Montana.


A Fire at Glendale.

Glendale, April 21, 1887

      A fire occurred in the blacksmith shop of McDonald & Avare, this morning at 2:30 o’clock.  The flames leaped across the street, from the blacksmith shop, and set fire to the two-story cabinet shop, owned and occupied by Hiram Stuart.  The second story of the building was used by Henry W. Brown for a photograph gallery.  Both buildings were burned to the ground, including a log cabin back of the blacksmith shop.  The losses were: Hiram Stuart, $2,500; McDonald & Avare, $1,000; Henry W. Brown, $500.  No insurance.


A Newsy Letter From the Busy Smelter Camp.

      Frosty nights, cool days, no grow.

      Mrs. F.A. Ross has just returned from an extended visit East.

      A select school was opened Monday, the 18th, by Miss Effie Miller.

      Miss Maud Johnson and sister Bertha are expected to return from Helena soon.

      Mrs. H. Knippenberg has gone East and will not return before fall.  Mr. K. is expected to return soon.

      Times are a little dull, as the smelter is not running.  The company cannot get ore sufficient to run, on account of snow in the mountains.

      Miss T. Sappington who has been East, visiting, returned last Monday, accompanied by her brother and sister Mr. and Mrs. Williams, of Blandensville, Ill.

      Business men are doing a reasonable amount of business and are receiving supplies daily, in anticipation of a lively time as soon as spring opens, and everything becomes again as of old - booming.

      The ladies Aid society gave a crazy supper at the church Wednesday evening, which was quite an enjoyable affair.  With sugar spoons for butter knives, and salt dishes for sugar bowls, one was likely to make a mistake and get a little too much salt in the coffee.

      We were favored with the presence of Rev. C.B. Allen, of Helena, for a few days, and while with us he called us to a remembrance of our duties, of which we are oftentimes so neglectful.  We are sorry to have him return home so soon, but hope the time is not far distant when a series of meetings may be held by him, in Glendale

April 20   X.Y.Z.

1887 APR 29



      Yesterday several “fly” young chaps hired a livery team and tore around through the streets at a reckless rate.  They ran the horses nearly to death and before they got through, the buggy was badly demoralized.  They were arrested on two different charges, tried and fined $65.  They got off rather easy.

      This is only one of the many similar disgraceful affairs which have occurred in this town lately, and which are a disgrace to any civilized community.  When young men lose all self-respect, and get into such scrapes they should not complain if the law lays its hand with full weight upon them.

1887 MAY 13


Notes Gathered During a Brief Visit at Melrose, Glendale and Hecla.

      While out on a little scout, in the northern part of Beaverhead county, I took a few notes which I submit herewith.

      The smelting furnace, at Glendale, went into operation on Friday of last week, giving many of the idle men in that locality employment.

      Near Melrose, along the U. & N. railroad track, is to be seen a large crop of gypsies who, by their appearance, look as though they might remain during the summer.

      A ball was given to the public of Glendale, on Friday night, by Mrs. Julia Ferguson.  A large number of ladies and gentlemen were present, and the party lasted till about 1 o’clock a.m.

At Hecla, there was thirty-five men put to work, on Friday morning, clearing the snow from the tramway.  The men were glad of an opportunity to go to work again, as many of them had been idle a long time.

      The whole region about Hecla and Glendale is most picturesque - the mountain scenery being particularly fine at this time of the year.  A visit to that vicinity would well repay anyone having artistic tendencies.

      The snow at the foot of the mountain, varies from three to seventeen feet.  Snow is plentiful in that locality, indeed, from Greenwood to Hecla, a distance of three and one-half miles, the mail and passengers are taken on a sleigh.

      Several car loads of fat cattle passed through Melrose, on Saturday - the largest that have ever been seen going north on the U. & N.  It was supposed they were Texas cattle, as one man remarked that their horns measured five feet from tip to tip.

      Lewis Kaufman, the genial young goods man of Glendale, has just received a large variety of new goods.  His patrons smile with supreme satisfaction and he continues to meet the popular rush for great bargains.  His store room is opposite Ferguson’s restaurant.

      The concentrator at Greenwood, where the ore is washed and reduced to small bulk before being sent to the smelter, is now at a standstill, but it is thought it will be started up again, soon.  The ore is brought to the concentrator from the mines of the Hecla company, a distance of three miles, over a tramway.

      The vicinity of Granite mountain is now a beautiful scene.  The peak is entirely bare not a thing to be seen but the rock, but on the south side of the mountain is a small lake, on which one might ride in a row boat.  On the reverse side of the mountain is a large basin filled with snow which I was informed never disappeared, entirely.  The foot hills of this mountain are a most picturesque sight.  The granite rocks are to be seen in all sizes, shapes and hues.  The red and white granite appears in great quantities and are nicest.



Measles Among the Children - A Ground Hog Case - Lively Notes of All Sorts.

Glendale, May 11, 1887

To the Editor of the Dillon Tribune:

      Furnace No. 1 of the Hecla Co. was started up on Saturday last.

      Clark M. Sholes and William Eayers start for Marysville, tomorrow, by the overland route.

      Mrs. R.Z. Thomas is now able to be around after a severe illness of several weeks duration.

      Our base ballists are selecting nine to meet their engagements with other clubs in the Territory.

      McDonald & Avare have rebuilt their blacksmith shop, and are hard at it again.  Success be with them.

      In about six weeks (if the weather settles long enough) James Bateman expects to haul wood to Vipond park.

      Dr. Raymond Mitchell leaves us for the East, the first of next week.  If he returns to the territory, he will settle in Helena.

      John W. Fruit returned, yesterday, from Iowa.  He reports measles, itch, mumps and whooping cough as being rampant in the East.

      The tramway, from Lion hill to the concentrator, is again filled with snow.  It has been shoveled out several times at a cost of about $3,000.  Wait a while, and the summer will be along.

      On Sunday last, Fred Arbour and Ida Terry hied themselves down to Melrose and were married by John Smith, J.P.  They returned in the evening and were the recipients of a glorious charivari.

      I understand that there were twelve cases of measles in town.  A child of Mr. and Mrs. Baker died, last Saturday, from the effects of the disease, and this morning a child of Mr. and Mrs. Louis Woodside died from the effects of measles and pneumonia.  The school will be closed for a couple of weeks or so, until the disease has run its course.

      Our democratic postmaster is in a “peck of trouble” - in fact has a ground hog case on hand.  He has twice sent in his resignation.  No one has been appointed to take his place, as republicans won’t take it and democrats, that may be qualified to fill the position, “have other jobs on hand.”  The cry of “turn the rascals out,” has soured on our p.m.

      Several of our prospectors, the first of this week, gathered together their grub stake and started out to be gone - the Lord only knows for how long - buton arriving at the foot hills of their several divides, they found they could not cross, on account of the heavy snow.  They report that the usual passes over the divides will not be clear before the middle of next month.

      A small smelter is wanted in Vipond park.  Timber and ore is there in abundance, and several hundred tons of good smelting ore is on the dumps of the mines in the vicinity of Sheep mountain.  Wm. Kimball & Co., have at least 200 tons of ore on the Fariview dump; Al Fancher & Co. at least 150 tons on the Faithful dump; Thomas & Shepherd 100 tons from the Blue Belle.  Besides the above there are several other mines in that vicinity with large dumps of ore that could be worked in a smelter an pay well, but would not pay to ship.


List of Grand and Trial Jurors for the June Term.
      The next term of District court, within and for Beaverhead county, will begin on Monday, June 6th, 1887.  The lists of grand and trial jurors are printed below.  Grand jurors are required to be present the first day of the term and trial jurors the second day.


Martin Barrett
G.W. Bart
August F. Graeter
Wm. Jones
W.W. Bentley
W.C. Orr
A.J. Noyes
C.L. Thomsen
I.M. Morrison
W.B. Carter
A.F. Wright
R. Saxton
E.S. Ball
Jas. Prout
Geo. Poindexter
H.A. Partridge
J.J. Loughridge
J.P. Murray
Thos. H. Sappington
H.S. Pond


Sam’l Ashbaugh
A.H. Jackson
Allan Black
C.W. Conger
O.M. Best
Frank Landon
Joseph Hines
John Innes
Henry Burfiend
J.H. Cowan
Amede Bessette
Jas. Kirkpatrick
Geo. Buck
John Carns
A.F. Jones
Jas. Barrett
A.C. Witter
H. Porcif
R. McDowell
G.W. Emerick
John Anderson
G. Albers
P.P. Johnson
E.P. Tucker
J.W. Morton
M. Goldberg
P. Holehan
Geo. T. Gray
J.F. Bishop
C.W. Connick

1887 MAY 20

A Body Found

Twin Bridges, May 18, 1887.

      A dead body was found last week, seven miles below Melrose, 100 yards from the railroad track and 200 yards from the Big Hole river.  It had evidently been lying there at least four months.  He might have been frozen, but there is no evidence of his having felt cold.  He was lying on his back, straight as though he had lain down to sleep.  A fire had run through the thick underbrush and briars, ten days ago, and had burned the face so as to destroy the features.  One hand was also burned.  Had two upper front teeth, not very wide but rather long, but the teeth on each side were gone; whiskers were red, streaked with gray, coat, vest and pants alike, of dark brown cloth; red woolen underclothes and brown woolen over shirt, all nearly new, and miners’ hobnail shoes.

      Justice Jones, of Twin Bridges, held an inquest on Sunday, the jury, returning a verdict of “death from exposure and destitution.”  The body was that of a small man, not over five foot three, or four inches in height and one hundred and fifteen or twenty pounds weight.  There were no papers of anything by which to identify him.

1887 MAY 27


GLENDALE, May 25, 1887

To the Editor of the Dillon Tribune

      On the 18th, Miss Effie Miller again opened school.

      Our town is so dull that even the rounders are lonesome.

      William Moore closed his saloon on the 1st , and R.T. Noyce will soon follow suit.

      On the 17th Frank Ross and family left here to take charge of a smelter and concentrator, near Neihart, M.T.

      On last Sabbath there was no Sunday school, an account of the measles, but the base ball game was played all the same.

      Today is pay day for the Hecla boys.  As there in only one smelter running, our merchants will not reap a very rich harvest.

      Peter Wagner begged me not to say anything about his tumble from the hurricane deck of a bronco.  Hence my silence in regard to the same.

      Dr. Raymond Mitchell, instead of going East, as he intended, will open a hospital in the old DuRell building, on Main street, next door to the bank.

      Business is so dull here, that the boys pass their time away shaking dice for checks, the latter bearing the legend, “Good for one drink at  -----saloon.”

      Ex-commissioner John Wells and Wm. H. Hunt started today for Rock creek lake, on a prospecting and fishing jaunt.  They expect to be gone several weeks.

      On the 15th, George Vance rejoiced in the fact that a brand new boy arrived at his home.  He is the proud father of a girl and boy and he thinks “the more the merrier.”

      Yesterday, Ed Vanwart, in trying to make the home base, in somewhat of a hurry, on the diamond field, fell and dislocated his left shoulder.  He now carries his arm in a sling.

      I understand that the Dillon base ball club will come up to play our home nine, sometime next week.  Our boys propose to give the Dillon boys a chance for “their white alley.”

      Died, on Friday evening last (May 20) Mary, wife George Duwe: funeral services were conducted by Father Dols, of Butte, on Sunday last.  She was 22 years old, and leaves a husband and child, the latter being only two weeks old.

1887 JUN 03


      To make up for the woeful lack of water last season, nature seems to be outdoing  herself this year.  From every direction come reports of unusually high water, which is already doing damage to bridges ditches and roads, and the water has not yet reached its highest stage.  The recent warm weather has caused the snow in the mountains to melt rapidly and it rushes down to the creeks and rivers in volumes greater than some of them can accommodate.  The Beaverhead is running banks full, and all of its feeders are reported to be in the same condition.  The Red Rock is higher than it was ever known to be thus early in the season, and a number of bridges are threatened with destruction.  Water is rapidly rising in the Grasshopper and is quite likely to do considerable damage.  An old resident of Bannack says the water is already higher than he has ever seen it.

      The Big Hole river is booming and the railroad bridge at Brown’s threatened with destruction.  Last Sunday twelve carloads of ties were kept on the bridge to hold it down, and a gang of men was engaged in keeping driftwood from lodging against it.

      The bridge across the Beaverhead, near Bishop’s is considered unsafe, and is likely to go out at any time.

      Reports of head gates and irrigating ditches being washed out are numerous.

1887 JUN 10

       The match game of ball between the Beaverheads and the Glendale nine, for $250 a side, which was to have been played last Saturday afternoon, was interrupted by rain.  A postponement was made until Sunday afternoon when the rain again put a stop to the game, and it was adjourned by the umpire.  Considerable dissatisfaction was caused by the Glendales having a professional catcher and pitcher in their nine.


Accident on the U. & N.

      Last Saturday evening the south bound passenger train on the U. & N. struck a band of cattle, above Melrose, and the engine, mail and baggage cars were ditched.  The train was running at the rate of 40 miles an hour and although the air brake applied, the train was still going at the rate of 20 miles an hour when it struck the cattle.  The rails were so wet and slippery the brakes could not be made to do much service.  The engine and mail car were badly wrecked and the engineer and fireman, J.W. Else and Joe Ross were somewhat injured.  The train was delayed eight hours.  Seven head of cattle were killed.  The express safe was so badly smashed that it was almost impossible to open it.



An Account of the Game of Glendale as Furnished by a Correspondent.

GLENDALE, M.T. June 8, 1887

      On Saturday last, the much looked for Dillon base ball club arrived, to compete for a $250 a side.  About 2 o’clock the game opened and at the close of one inning the score stood one for Dillon, to five for Glendale, when the rain put a stop to any further playing.  An agreement was then entered into play Sunday afternoon, and at 2 o’clock the Dillon umpire called game.  The Glendales had three innings and the Dillon two; the score standing ten for the former and two for the latter, when time was called by the umpire, for half an hour, on account of the rain.  At the expiration of that time the Glendale club was in their places on the diamond and remained there for at least three quarters of an hour with the Dillonites straying off one by one, but no umpire responded to the frequent calls made for him by the victorious nine of Glendale.  Every inducement was offered to the Dillon boys to play the game to a finish but it was no go.  The Glendale club base their claims for the stakes of $500 on the following rules: “That the captain of the home nine shall be the sole judge as to the fitness of the grounds to begin playing after a rain.”  And our captain so decided after the intermission and claimed the stakes after the other club refused to play.



      Court began last Monday, but on account of the non-arrival of the Judge, nothing was done until Wednesday, when the juries were empanelled and some preliminary business transacted.

      The grand jury failed to find an indictment against Kennedy, the supposed accomplice of Harding, and he was discharged.

      In the cast of Territory vs. John Ebenhack, for assault with a deadly weapon, the jury brought in a verdict for acquittal.



A Letter Delayed by the “Measley” High Water – The Hotel Changes Hands –

A Chapter of Accidents.

GLENDALE, June 1 , 1887

To the Editor of the Dillon Tribune:

      “Here’s a pretty how do you do.”  The mail goes out two hours earlier than usual, all on account of the high water.  Our mail has to go down to Glen station.  The telephone line is down, and the devil to pay generally.

      Henry Neill has sold out his hotel to Alonzo Leonidas Pickett and the latter is making changes throughout the whole house and will make it first-class in every particular.  When the bar room is finished it will be a daisy.  Prof. Bergman is doing himself proud in the artistic line, and in the decoration line, Wm. Kimball is outdoing himself.

      Mrs. Lemon has sold out her restaurant and lodging house to Mrs. Clark M. Sholes.

      Our Moike having discovered that he cannot play whist a little bit, has determined to devote his attention to the constable business in the future.

      On the night of the 30th, ult., Jos. Labouchure, will “under the influence of the ardent,” was garroted and rolled,” and a fearful gash was cut in the back part of his head.  He did not recognize his assailants.

      On the 30th, ult., Robt. Miller was thrown from his horse and dragged for some distance, resulting in scratched face and a dislocated jaw.

      On last Sunday afternoon Fred Arbour, while up on Lion mountain, invited his wife and Mrs. Papa to take a ride down the tramway with him.  Everything went well until they struck the steep pitch, just above Greenwood, when the speed of the car became so great that Fred must have got scared and turned the brake the wrong way, and the car jumped the track and threw Fred and Mrs. Papa against the timbers of the snow shed.  The latter was rendered unconscious and remained so for two hours, but is now much better.  Dr. James L. Jones was called in to attend her case and reports her on the mend.  Fred Arbour received a deep cut in his forehead and has not yet (Wednesday) fully recovered his consciousness.  Dr. Raymond Mitchell is attending upon him and reports some improvement.  Mrs. Arbour only received a slight scratch on the face.  All these parties can “thank their stars” that they got off as lucky as they did.  The wonder is that one of them has left to tell the story.

      I understand that the Viponds have struck a four foot vein of good ore, on the extension of the Grey Jockey lode.  They are very much elated over the new strike.  This is one of the many mines that Gen’l Jos. A. Browne is interested in, at the Vipond mining district.

      Claud Hay is over today, from Dewey’s Flat, and footed it all the way.  He reports one pier of the bridge, this side of the Flat, gone and that the others will go out as they cannot stand the strain.  Isn’t it about time for the commissioners of the county to consider the feasibility of building a road from Canyon Creek up the river to join the Dewey’s Flat grade?

      The Hay’s stamp mill is shut down on account of high water.

      The Churchill grade, just above the Flat, is under water to such an extent that the old trail over the mountains has to be used.

      I understand that A.M. Leabo will round up a lot of bears next week, and have a grand hunt for the amusement of the boys.

      A.M. Leabo carries the mail from the Divide to Wisdom, and he is like the bed bug, low or high water, he “gets there all the same.”

1887 JUN 24


The Utah and Northern

      Anaconda Review:  Superintendant Blickensderfer, of the Union Pacific, has announced that on July 15th the Utah and Northern will be converted into a standard gauge road.  The narrow gauge, which is the first we had in Montana will, therefore, be withdrawn, and we will see our little narrow friends no more.  The writer came to Montana with the Utah and Northern when its first stopping point was at Old Red Rock, thence to Dillon, Melrose, Silver Bow, thence Butte and Deer Lodge, and finally Garrison was reached before the Northern Pacific had gotten that far.  At the time the terminus of the Utah & Northern was at Red Rock, 1879, almost the entire amount of freight and merchandise of Montana was coming that way, and it did not exceed six cars of merchandise in 24 hours, and the ore shipments were nothing.  The business of the territory on the advent of this little narrow gauge began to increase immediately and has increased steadily to its present gigantic proportions.  The little narrow gauge is unable to do its share and has to give way to the inevitable – the standard gauge.  We part from our little friend with regret, for it will not seem so great an improvement in going from a narrow gauge to a standard as it was from a stage coach to the narrow gauge.

1887 JUL 08



A Fire in Glendale Brewery Causes the

Death of Jacob Schoenauer – The

Celebration of the Fourth.

GLENDALE, June 6, 1887

To the Editor of the Dillon Tribune:

      The 4th of July was celebrated here.  Business houses and a number of residences were decked with green trees and flags a flying.  Horse, wheel-barrow and foot racing occupied a part of the afternoon, until the time came for base ball, when the two nines had a lively set-to until 6:30 o’clock, when all adjourned for supper.  After supper a magnificent display of fireworks was set off near the rink, after which the delighted spectators adjourned to the rink to indulge in the light fantastic etc.  The Glendale cornet band gave us some of their sweetest and best music during the afternoon and evening.

      Everything passed off very pleasantly and several remarked what a joyous Fourth we are having, but their joy was turned into sorrow, at 11:30 p.m., when the cry of fire was heard, and the ringing bells called our citizens to their duty.  The Glendale Brewery was on fire in the upper story.  The hose was soon attached to the water plugs, but was found too short to reach the building; a few buckets were procured, but water was too far away to do much good with them.  All at once the query was passed from lip to lip, “Where is Jacob Schoenauer?”  And was answered, “he must be in the burning building,” but none believed it.  Although every effort was made to reach his room, without success.  The entire building was burned to the ground.  By that time the water from the lengthened hose began playing on the fiery mass and the blackened remains of a human being were discovered therein.  As soon as possible to get at the body, several willing hands lent their aid in securing the same.  On arriving at the place they found that the head was burned off and supposed it had fallen into the cellar; the body was lying over two joists, over the cellar, in which was a fiery mass of coals: the limbs seemed to be perfect but on moving the body the limbs crumbled to dust, leaving only the bare trunk of what was once the portly frame of Jacob Schoenauer.  He was a native of Switzerland and at the time of his death was 33 years old.  At the last term of the district court he took out papers of citizenship and became a citizen of the United States.  John P. Hulsizer and Schoenauer were partners in the saloon.  The latter at 10 o’clock went up stairs to bed taking with him a miner’s candlestick and candle and also his dog and cat.  Hulsizer kept open until about 11 o’clock and went to his cabin and retired and was awakened half an hour later by the cry of fire.  He thinks Schoenauer must have fallen asleep and left the light burning, and it must have been knocked down by one of the animals, or dropped down through the candle stick on to some inflammable substances, thus causing the fearful destruction of life and property.  The adjoining building, owned and occupied by John T. Murphy as a warehouse, was also destroyed with its contents.  There was no insurance on any of the above property.  John G. Schmidt, of Glen station, was the owner of the brewery building, which is valued at about $3,000.  The funeral of Jacob Shoenauer took place last evening at 5 o’clock.  He was followed to his last resting place by a goodly number of our citizens, who sincerely mourn his sudden and tragic fate.

      This is the old, old story – houses mostly of wood; a small fire which quickly spreads until it becomes entirely beyond control, destroying thousands of dollars worth of property.  Here is a town containing everything needful for the conflagration and with a large amount of  valuable property at risk.  Had the Hecla Smelter shared in the destruction (which, by the way, looked very, probably at one time during the fire) the loss would have been up at least to $75,000; and for protection of all this against fire, dependence is placed upon an inadequate water supply and about 400 feet of decomposed hose.  Had the town been equipped with one good hand engine even the fire could have been stayed and the life of Jacob Shoenauer could probably have been saved.  By this time our business men must see the necessity of having a fire department; hand engines may do, but steam is preferable.  Insurance companies will fight shy, if there is no show to extinguish a fire.

1887 JUL 15

Crushed by a Rock.

      A Melrose correspondent of the Butte Miner, writing under date of June 11th says; “On Saturday morning last Mr. Henry Stebbin went to the cabin of R.C. Calvin on Camp Creek, Silver Bow County, to make arrangements in regard to shipping some ores.  Not finding Mr. Calvin at home, he left and returned next day (Sunday), and still he was not at his cabin.  Knowing that he did not work on Sunday, Mr. Stebbin thought something must be wrong, and went in search and found Mr. Calvin dead in one of his mines near at hand, with a large rock weighing 1,000 lying on his legs and right arm.  A party of Melrose citizens went to the mine and removed the body to Melrose, held and informal examination, and found that his left breast was broken in and his arms, legs and back were badly bruised.  There being no signs of struggles, the supposition is that he died almost instantly after the rock fell on him.  As he was last seen on Thursday evening the accident was supposed to have occurred on Friday.  Deceased was about 65 years old, came from Minnesota in 1868 or ’69 and has been working in mines of his own by himself for the past fourteen years.  He was a very quiet, pleasant man and was well like and respected by all that knew him.  He has a married sister (Mrs. Wm. Crisp) residing near the South Boulder in Madison county.  He will be buried in Melrose cemetery today.

1887 JUL 22



      Assessor A.L. Pickett is quite ill at his home in Glendale.

      Dr. H. Schmalhausen came down from Butte, Monday night, and left on the coach for home at Virginia City, Tuesday.  The doctor was returning from Helena, where he was elected surgeon, with rank as major, of the First Regiment, M.N.G.


1887 JUL 29


      A.L. Pickett has shipped one hundred head of  horses and mules to Butte, where he will sell them at a private sale.           

      J.B. Losee and Ed Maxwell, formerly of Glendale, are going to open a dry goods store in Anaconda,  Mr. Losee now being in the east purchasing goods.  The gentlemen have many friends in this county who wish them success in their venture.



The Utah & Northern Gauge Changed in

Quick Time – The First Trip Over

The New Road.

      Monday was a great day in the history of the Utah & Northern Railroad.  On that day 246 miles of track was changed from a three-foot gauge to four feet, eight and one-half inches, in the remarkably short time of five hours – that is, each section of six miles was widened within five hours from a given time.

      The last narrow gauge train over the road was a passenger train, drawn by engine 93, which left Butte at 3 o’clock Sunday afternoon.  As soon as the train got well under way the work of widening began.  Each section of six miles was provided with 20 men and a foreman, who stood impatiently waiting for the train to pass that they might get to work.

      The train left this station at 6:45, and Foreman Henry and his men set to work with a will.  In fifteen minutes they were almost out of sight.  They worked until dark and finished their section soon after daylight Monday morning.  At dark Sunday night there were fifty miles of track below Butte, finished.

1887 AUG 05

      The Hecla Con. Mining Co. has concluded to start up its works and mines in full force.  A new furnace is being built by the company and a full force of men has been put in on and about the smelter and concentrator.  A large force of men is already working in the mines of the company and before long Glendale will begin to wear its old air of thrift.

      O.W. Mintzer, E. Nasholds and “Red” McDonald are over from Salmon City.

      Miss Lizzie Miller, of Glendale, was the guest of Mrs. C.G. Noble while in town.


1887 AUG 12

 Z.C. Maddux Killed.

      Wednesday morning C.A. Clayton, Z.C. Maddux, Wm. Peterson and Chas Powers, got in a dispute over some hay land, the right to which was claimed by both factions.  Peterson, Maddux and Powers went to Clayton’s armed and after talking awhile, angry words were exchanged, when Clayton went into the house, got a navy revolver and began firing on the three men.  Maddux was shot in the left side below the left shoulder: another shot took effect in his back.  Powers was shot in the hand while aiming at Clayton.  Clayton’s hired man hitched up and took the wounded men home.  Clayton went to Butte and surrendered himself.  Maddux died late in the afternoon.  The people around Melrose seem to have more sympathy for the dead man than for his slayer.



A Few Notes of Interest from the Resurrected Smelter Camp.

GLENDALE, Aug. 8, 1887

      Weather warm and dry, roads dustier than dusty, rain needed everywhere.

      Business lively, merchants more than busy supplying home trade and filling orders from afar.

      General health splendid – no sickness in town; doctors talking of going back to New Orleans or some other southern seaport where there may be a little probability of at least a little boom in business.

      Miss Effie Miller will bid adieu to home and friends, and, on Sept. 1st, will move away to Helena where she will attend school another year.

      Miss Maud Johnson has accepted a position in the Ladies Exchange, at Helena, where she expects to remain for some time.  We shall miss her from our social circle.

      Mrs. Hull, wife of our banker here, has arrived from the East and is cosily domiciled in the cottage known as the Hoyt residence, we welcome her in our midst.

      “Croquet!  Croquet!  Come down this evening and play croquet.  Be sure and bring your best girl with you!”  Is all we hear – croquet being all the rage, it takes both Butte and Dillon to supply the demand for croquet sets.

      The Ladies Aid Society still have their weekly sessions, and of all the magnificent displays of fancy work I certainly think they take the lead, and as the number of members is increasing so also is the quantity of work.  So Wednesday of each week is the one day welcomed, and looked forward to with pleasure by every member.

      It is too funny to see folks, especially those who grow wearly of monotonies, out seeking for, they don’t know what, whether it is that Fabled Fountain of eternal youth or some sequestered spot, described by ancient fairies, where all is happiness and love, and snakes (in their boots).  Don’t do that way boys, its naughty.

      No church, no Sabbath school, no moral influence, just now.  No wonder the boys go snake hunting; they have no place else to go.



1887 AUG 19


100 Miners Wanted.

      100 good, first-class miners can get employment at Hecla, Mont., in the mines of the Hecla Consolidated Mining Co.

H. Knippenberg, Gen’l M’gr.


      H.H. Avery, who formerly kept the Avery House, at Glendale, is now jobbing and retailing wines, liquors, cigars and smokers’ sundries, on Riverside Avenue, Spokane Falls, W.T.


      Born, to the wife of H.H. Avery, at Spokane Falls, W.T., on Aug. 14th, 1887, a son; weight 11 pounds, 2 oz.  The mother and child both doing well.



The Examination into the Melrose Shooting Continued Till Next Monday

      Monday’s Inter Mountain:  This morning at 9 o’clock the examination of Charles A. Clayton, for the murder of Z.C. Maddux, began in Judge Lippencott’s court.  The prisoner is a man of medium size and with light hair, and chin beard and moustache of a reddish color.  He is very decided and energetic in his talk and in his movements.  He was quite firm and self possessed during the examination and the continual consultation with his lawyers, Messrs. Cole and Pemberton.  There were four witnesses examined, including young Peterson, who went up in the wagon with Powers and Maddux.  His testimony showed that he had been quite badly rattled during the shooting, and was too much occupied in running away to not many particulars.  The defense endeavored to show by cross examination that Clayton had repeatedly warned Maddux not to approach him, but no definite testimony of this nature was adduced.  The testimony of the other witnesses was not leading in its character.  The principal witness is Charles Powers, the man who was driving the team at the time of the shooting, and who was shot three times by Clayton in the right arm and left hand and the right shoulder.  His wounds are not serious, but very painful, and he was not able to be present at the examination.  Accordingly the court decided that it would be necessary to postpone the examination, and he accordingly did so.  It will be completed on Monday, when it is thought Powers will be able to appear and testify.



An Impartial Statement of the Causes Leading to the Shooting of Maddux by C.A. Clayton Last Wednesday.

      Butte Miner:   A gentleman who claims to be conversant with the origin of the quarrel between Maddux and Clayton says the land about which the dispute arose is Government land but that Clayton’s claim to it rests on the ground that he cleaned the land up for the purpose of cutting hay on it two years ago.

      The strip of land is not more than five acres in extent and lies about a mile above Clayton’s ranch, while it is more than three miles to the Maddux ranch.  He states that Clayton went to some trouble in cleaning it so that he could use his mowing machine upon it.  Our informant states that Clayton cut the hay from it two years ago but did not last year as it was not worth cutting.  He intended doing so this year, but while he was at his ranch on Soap Gulch Maddux came and cut the hay, or sent men to do it.  Clayton, on his return saw them at work there and remonstrated with them, but they, of course, acting under orders, had no defense to make or excuse the offer.  Clayton then said that he knew Maddux had been packing a six-shooter for him and fussing about water privileges for years back, “but,” he is reported to have said, “if you move that hay off that ground I’ll give Maddux a racket to the full extent of the law.”  On Wednesday last, our informant continues, Maddux with his hired men, Peterson and Powers, came with a hayrack to remove the hay which had been cut by his men and Clayton met them on the road.  He was with his mowing machine.  He had his coat off and in the pocket of it was a six-shooter.  Our informant states that the man, Maddux, was a very large, powerful man, much more than a match for Clayton in a personal encounter, and that Maddux had frequently expressed in public his intention of doing up Clayton whenever he got an opportunity, of which Clayton was aware.  Clayton is said to have asked Maddux, “Why do you play such dirty tricks as this on me?  I have a right to that land because I and my boy cleaned that land up over two years ago, and here you come two or three miles above your ranch to take this hay that you have no right to.”  Maddux is reported to have replied that he cleaned the land thirteen years ago.  Clayton denied this and reaffirmed what he had done for the purpose of reaping it with his mowing machine.  Maddux is then said to have given the lie which roused Clayton so he dared him to come down off the wagon.  Maddux asked if he had any weapons about him which Clayton said he had not.  Maddux had a gun in his hand which he gave to Powers who is reported to have held it down, the muzzle pointed in Clayton’s direction.  Maddux then came down from the wagon and advanced towards Clayton who backed towards his mowing machine where his coat was.  Two of three times, our informant states, “you’re coming, are you?” and kept backing to his coat, and each time Maddux replied, “yes. I’m coming,” making threatening gestures.  When Maddux crowded Clayton to the machine and latter picked up his coat and got his revolver and fired, shooting Maddux twice, and then seeing Powers raising the gun he held, he shot at him, hitting him in the area so that he dropped the gun.  This is the statement of the affair as related to the Miner representative, and it was added that the bad blood in the men originated in a quarrel several years ago about a horse that Clayton and Maddux both claimed and which the former obtained possession of though the latter’s brand was upon it.

1887 AUG 26



TED – THOMAS – On Tuesday, Aug. 23rd, at the residence of the bride’s parents, by the Rev. S.D. Hooker, rector of St. James church, H. Ted, of Boulder, Colorado, and May, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R.Z. Thomas, of Glendale.



Preliminary Examination of Clayton for the Murder of Maddux.

      On Monday the preliminary examination of Charles A. Clayton for killing Z.E. Maddux, was held at Butte before Justice Lippincott.  The witnesses examined were J.H. Whiting, James Andrews and James Powers.  The testimony of the first two was positive as to threats made by Clayton on different occasions to take the life of Maddux.  Powers is the man present at the shooting who was shot in the hands by Clayton, and for whose testimony the examination had been adjourned.  He testified that Clayton enticed Maddux from the wagon stating that he was unarmed and would settle it by a fist fight.  Maddux handed the gun to Powers and got down from the wagon.  When he advanced a couple of steps toward Clayton, the latter drew his pistol and began to fire.  He fired three shots at Maddux, who had turned to run toward the wagon for his gun.  The first grazed his side and the last two took effect in his back.  Clayton then fired two shots at Powers, which took effect in his left hand and right hand and arm.  Powers then fell from the wagon, and while lying helpless in the road says that Clayton approached and fired the last shot in the revolver, which took effect in the shoulder.

      These three witnesses made a very damaging case against Clayton, and with but short deliberation Judge Lippincott decided to hold him without bail to answer to the charge of murder before the grand jury.  Clayton was represented as the examination by Messrs. Cole and Pemberton, while Attorney DeWitt conducted the prosecution.  Clayton took the sentence coolly, and when the examination was finished, about noon, he was conducted back to jail by Sheriff Lloyd.  All present at the examination thought that a very clear case of premeditated murder had been made out against the defendant.


1887 SEP 02


      Geo. E. Tarbell, down from Lion city, reported mining operations progressing very favorably.

      Mrs. O.W.W. Rote, who has been visiting her mother at Wickes for several weeks, has returned home.

      Mrs. R.J. Sholes, of Glendale, is attending the W.C.T.U. Convention.

      Masters Harry and Arthur Hoyt, of Butte, are visiting friends in town.

1887 SEP 09

The resignation of John F. Bergman as a Justice of the Peace at Glendale was accepted, and on petition of citizens of said town R.Z. Thomas was appointed to fill the unexpired term of Justice of the Peace upon his filing a bond as required by law.

      The furnaces at Argenta and Glendale are turning our stacks of silver-lead base bullion.

      Prof. John Gannon left Sunday for Anaconda, at which place he is principal of the public schools.



      M. Goldberg, dealer in Boots and Shoes, Saddles and Harness, formerly doing business at Glendale, has removed his entire stock of goods to Boulder, where he has permanently located.  He will be glad to receive calls from any of the old friends and customers.

1887 SEP 16

      T.J. White, photographer, will reopen his Eagle Rock gallery in a few weeks, after he gets through his work in Glendale


1887 SEP 23

  County School Superintendent Mrs. H.E. Taylor held and examination for teachers last Saturday, at which certificates were issued to Miss Kate Bridwell, Horace A. Woods and Miss Mary J. Evans.  Mr. Woods and Miss Evans will teach the Glendale public school.



The Court to Open Monday, Oct. 3d – The Grand and Trial Jurors

      The October term of District Court in and for Beaverhead County will commence on Monday, October 3d, with Judge McConnell presiding.  The Grand Jurors are required to be present on the first day of term and the Trial Jurors on the second day.  Sheriff Jones has notified the following good and true citizens to be on time and serve their county and country at the term:


R.M. McLain
Lafe Scott
H. Knippenberg
Craig Cornell
Ralph Dutch
Phil Loyell
P.P. Roth
Lou Fyhrie
T.H. Hamilton
J.E. Morse
D.E. Metlin
I. Cashmore
W.L. McIntosh
G. Staudaher
Frank Slader
Wm. H. Sweet
Chas Herman
H. Patten
Henry Garret
G. Boatman


John Clotlet
Richard Deacon
J.S. Freeman
B. Bone
R.B. Fraser
Frank E. Foote
Robt. Bradwell
Fred Vick
Mathias Walder
Wm. Bernstein
Thos. Flynn
Edwin Coffin
S.D. Vance
Chas Dunham
Terrence Flynn
J.P. Fletcher
S. Davidson
M.K. Davidson
D. Evans
F.J. Bird
Chas. E. Cox
J.C. Wilson
R.A. Ferster
W.R. Gilbert
F.E. Defriez
T.B. Graver
W.B. Devoll
Wm. Flynn
J.C. Engle
J.H. Freyschlag


The Pioneer Methodist Preacher of Montana Passes to the “Sweet Bye-and-Bye.”

      Rev. Hugh Duncan, on the oldest and most prominent Methodist ministers of Montana, died suddenly last Friday, the 16th inst., after a three days’ illness at the residence of Mr. James B. Snapp on the upper Ruby Valley, in Madison County.  He was 63 years of age.  His funeral took place at Sheridan last Sunday at two o’clock and was conducted by the Masonic fraternity of which he was a well-known and honored member.

      The deceased was widely-known and highly respected throughout Southern Montana, where for over a quarter of a century he has resided and been an active preacher.  He was the pioneer Methodist preacher of Montana, having commenced his mission ministry at Bannack upwards of twenty-five years ago.  During the intervening years he has been a zealous worker in the cause of religion, and last year he was Presiding Elder of this circuit.  Esteemed by everybody, he has been laid at rest, after a long life of eminent usefulness.


      CONWAY – At Glendale, Montana, Sept. 15, 1887, to Mr. and Mrs. Geo. B. Conway, a daughter.

1887 SEP 30


      The outlook for legitimate mining in Southern Montana, by which is meant the counties of Beaverhead and Madison, is brighter at present than it has been for a number of years past.  This is not an idle assertion, but is founded on statements of miners and operators who are engaged in the mining industry as a legitimate business, the pursuit of which is yielding handsome returns on the amount of capital invested and labor expended.  Of course this statement applies more generally to the operated and producing districts.  In the Glendale district, which is the heaviest bullion producer, there is a marked improvement in the condition of the mines over last year.  Large ore reserves are in sight, and the mines are in such fine shape as to yield and abundance of good grade smelting ore.  The furnaces in that district, ably and economically run, are turning our daily their old-time runs of stacks of bullion, and the district is presenting a very prosperous appearance.  In the Argenta district, notably, the mining operations are progressing highly satisfactorily.  The investing of capital in that district in the past year has given a new life to the camp which is now one of the most prosperous in the county, and the future of which is exceedingly bright.  Blue Wing properties, as far as operated, are producing high grade ore, and this applies more especially to the New Departure mine, which is and always has been a prominent high grade ore producer.  The Polaris and Elkhorn districts are showing finely, and the work or ore extracting and mine developing in those districts is going ahead with satisfactory results and promising prospects.  Over in Madison County mining matters are taking a boom for the better.  Especially is true of the mining  enterprises in the vicinity of Sheridan, and more particularly are the operations of the Noble Mining Company looming up conspicuously.  Briefly reviewing the mining outlook for Southern Montana at the present time, it may safely be pronounced flattering.



PARFET – At the residence of Menander Black, at Brandywine Summit, Penn., on September 10, 1887, of typhoid fever, William Wetzler Parfet. – the deceased was a younger brother of John and James Parfet, formerly of this county.  He was a young man of unusual promise, or pure and likable character.

      The Hecla Company, in the Glendale district is now running in full blast.  The company is employing in the neighborhood of five hundred men.  The third furnace was started up only a few days since, and all three furnaces are now running very smoothly.
1887 OCT 07

Indicted for Murder.

      On Thursday, at Butte, the Grand Jury found an indictment of murder in the first degree against Charles A. Clayton for shooting and killing Z.C. Maddux near Melrose about the middle of last August.



The Old-Timers Meet and Organize Into a Pioneers’ Society.

      In accordance with the call circulated a large number of the Pioneers of Beaverhead County assembled at the Court House on Tuesday evening,  the 4th inst., for the purpose of organizing a Pioneers’ Society for this county.

      There was a good representation present from different parts of the county.  Pioneers from Bannack, Argenta, Horse Prairie, Red Rock, Birch Creek, Big Hole, Glendale, Dewey’s Flat, Dillon and Beaverhead Valley were attendance, representing Pioneers who came to Montana in 1862, ’63, and up to May 24, ’64.

      J.R. Wilson called the meeting to order and named Joe A. Browne for temporary President, and Robt. T. Wing for temporary Secretary.  President Browne briefly and pointedly stated the objects of the meeting, and Secretary Wing read the call, a list of eighty-nine Pioneers eligible to active membership in the society, and a constitution and series of by-laws prepared for its organization and government, which were unanimously adopted.

      The constitution founds what is to be called the “Pioneers’ Society of Beaverhead County,” and the by-laws provide amply for the good and successful government of the society.

      On motion the society went into the election of officers to serve for the ensuing year, when the following, all “’62-ers,” were chosen:

President – Joe A. Browne, of Big Hole Valley.

Vice President – Gus F. Graeter, of Bannack.

Treasurer – Phil Lovell, of Beaverhead Valley.

Recording Secretary – Henry S. Pond, of Glendale.
On motion of Pioneer Bray, the President appointed Messrs. Shineberger, Bray and Wing a committee to revise the laws of the society and prepare a badge to be worn by members.

      On motion of Pioneer Bliven the membership fee was made $2, the annual dues $2.

      Provision was made for recording books for the use of the Recording Secretary, and stationery for other society officers.

      An animated Pioneers’ pow-wow was indulged in for some time, during which clever off-hands hits and pointed pokes elicited broad-grinned satisfaction, and the rough-and-tumble oratory was earnest and be-times eloquent.

      On motion of Pioneer Wing the first annual meeting of the society was ordered to be held at Dillon on the 24th of May, 1888.

      The Presdient appointed Geo. W. Dart and W.B. Carter, of Dillon, and Wm. Roe, of Bannack, a committee on arrangements to prepare a program of exercises for the first annual meeting.

      All Pioneers present expressed satisfaction that a society had been formed under such favorable auspices, and on motion of Pioneer Wing it was unanimously resolved that members unite in promoting the best interests of the society.

The organization of a strong society having been completed, a motion to adjourn was made, but before the motion was put, President Browne invited his fellow pioneers to a “medicine smoke” at Dick Halliday’s store.  The invitation was accepted after which the society adjourned to meet again in this city on the 24th of next May.

A Happy Double Wedding

      In the Cincinnati Enquirer we find a notice of a happy double wedding, in which two Beaverhead boys, wedded two sisters at Indianapolis, Indiana.  The wedding was celebrated on the 21st of September at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Knippenberg in Indianapolis.  The brides were their nieces, Misses Julia and Alice Beotticher, and the grooms Messers. Edward and Charles Harvey – two sisters and two brothers.  The parlors of the Knippenberg mansion were gaily decorated with pretty flowers, and the happy couples were united by Rev. Reuben Jeffery in a unique ceremony, with only the immediate families of the contracting parties present.  Mr. and Mrs. Edward Harvey will reside at Lion City, and Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Harvey will make their home at Glendale.

Fire Near Glen Station

      On Tuesday afternoon a fire occurred near Glen Station on the Utah and Northern railroad, on the old Smith ranch, now owned by Joe A. Browne.  There was a strong breeze blowing at the time.  The fire burned three large stacks of hay, a stable, corrals, part of the fencing, and about two hundred acres of standing grass.  The fire is supposed to have caught from sparks from a passing locomotive on the railroad.  Mr. Browne estimates his loss at $3,000.


Dillon the Best Town of the Two.

      Last Spring Mr. L. Kaufman, of Glendale, started a branch store in this city.  He has met with success, and his business has increased to such an extent that he has concluded to leave Glendale altogether.  Kaufman has at last succeeded in getting the room formerly occupied by the Examiner, and enlarged his store.  With this addition his store is by far the largest and best lighted in the city.  He carries a complete line of wearing apparel for ladies, gents and children.  He must sell goods at low prices for he has a very large and increasing trade.

1887 Nov 14

      On Monday Probate Judge Melton issued a license to George Pfaff, of Melrose, to wed Miss Lilia M. Forrest, of Glendale.  Marriage licenses are sold cheap, $2 each, but then follows paying the preacher and buying lots of household and kitchen fixings.


      In the District Court, at Butte, on last Tuesday the case of Chas. A. Clayton, indicted for the murder of Maddux near Melrose, was continued for the term.



      G.G. Beckwith, of Melrose, paid Dillon, a call.

      Assessor Lon Pickett has been in the city several days.

      Amos Purdum, of Melrose, gave the Tribune a call.

      Dr. Schmalhausen, of Virginia City, passed through Dillon on his return from a visit to St. Louis and Chicago.

      General Manager Knippenberg, of the Hecla Co. at Glendale, made an argument before the Board of Correction.

      Miss Flora Duncan, who has been attending school at Evanston, Illinois, passed through the city this morning on her way to home at Sheridan.

Wanted, two girls for hotel work.  
Twenty-five dollars per month.

Geo. G. Beckwith,
Melrose, Montana


Adopted at the Last Meeting of Dillon Lodge, No. 30, A.F. and A.M.

      The committee reported the following resolutions, which were unanimously adopted:

      WHEREAS, The dispensation of our all wise and merciful God has removed from our midst our honored and worthy brother, Rev. Hugh Duncan; and,

      WHEREAS, We appreciate the service he rendered to Masonry in Montana, and the loss the Masonic fraternity sustains in Brother Duncan being removed from among us, it is,

      Resolved, That we bow in deference to the wisdom of God in removing an honored brother, whose life was one of useful purposes and noble aims.

      Resolved, That we will cherish with gratitude the memory of his zeal and fidelity to Masonary, and that we will endeavor to emulate the good example set by him before us.

      Resolved, That we recognize the courage, honesty and integrity displayed by Brother Duncan in a long life in which he made a noble record of an unblemished character of one whose acts and deeds were for good.

      Resolved, That we sincerely tender to his bereaved and sorrowing wife and children of our departed brother the sincere condolence of Dillon Lodge, No. 30, A.F. and A.M., in their great grief on the death of an affectionate husband and kind father.

      Resolved, That a copy of these resolutions be forwarded to the family of our late Brother Duncan, and to the Lodge of which he was an active member, and be published as a tribute of respect of his memory.

W.C. Orr
P.H. Poindexter
O.W.W. Rote

1887 OCT 21


      W.B. Gaffney, formerly of Melrose, has bought T.F. Murray’s store at Boulder, paying $10,000 for it.


Proposals for Hay and Fencing

      Sealed proposals will be received until Tuesday, Nov. 1st, 1887, for delivery of one hundred tons of hay; timber and lumber for building a barn 90 feet long by 16 feet in width and 12 feet in height; and poles for laying up a worm fence forty-five rods in length, and poles for forty-five rods of corral fencing seven feet in height.  Also timber for a barn 18 by 20 feet and 12 feet high.

      First class wild hay wanted.  The hay and material to be delivered at the Smith ranch near Glen Station, on Utah and Northern railroad.

      For further particulars apply to:

Joe A. Browne
Glendale, Mont.
Oct. 21, 1887

The mining and smelting operations or the Hecla Consolidated Co., at Glendale, are in an unusually prosperous and productive condition at the present time.  This is largely due to the systematic, economic and conservative management of the company’s affairs, in operating its mines and in running its furnaces.  The furnaces are being run constantly, and the steady output of bullion is very satisfactory, both in grade and quantity.  The mines of the company that are worked are easily producing the requisite amount of good grade ores to keep the furnaces supplied – the mine superintendent being an experienced practical miner.  The Hecla Co. is making a good record just now.

1887 OCT 28


      The Tribune acknowledges the receipt of invitations to be present at the wedding of Mr. Wm. W. Wood and Miss Ida Mary Mintzer, which is to take place on Wednesday morning, Nov. 9th, in Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church, Philadelphia, Pa.  The groom elect is not known in this section, but the bride-to-be is well known at Glendale and in Dillon, at which places a large circle of friends will unite in extending congratulations and in wishing a long continued life of unalloyed matrimonial felicity.


1887 NOV 04


The Educators of Beaverhead County In Institute Sessions.

      The Beaverhead County Teachers’ Institute was called to order yesterday, Thursday morning, in High School Hall by Prof. Logan, who is presiding at the sessions.  Miss A. Blodgett, of Bannack, was selected as secretary.

      The following teachers are in attendance and taking part in Institute exercises:

      Prof. A.C. Logan, of Helena, Territorial Superintendent of Public Instruction.

      Mrs. Helen E. Taylor, of Dillon, County School Superintendent.

      Dillon – Prof. L.J. Knapp, Miss Sallie E. Williamson, Miss Janie V. Carter, Miss Clara Townsend.

      Glendale – Prof. Horace W. Woods and Miss Mary J. Evans.

      Lion City – Miss Theresa Heilbronner.

      Bannack – Miss Abbie Blodgett

      Bishop’s – Miss Maggie Reynolds.

      Poindexter’s – Miss Daisy Conger.

      The first subject presented was Intermediate Geography by Mrs. Taylor.  Entertaining remarks on the subject was made by Prof. Woods, Prof. Knapp, Miss Carter and others.

      Miss Heilbronner read a paper on Primary Arithmetic, which elicited a general discussion in which most of the teachers participated.

1887 NOV 11

      Applications for membership in the Pioneers’ Association of Beaverhead County may be left with Robt. T. Wing, at the Court House, or with Henry S. Pond, at Glendale.  The admission fee is $2.00.  The record books for recording Pioneer sketches are coming.

      Liar R. Freeman, once the propeller of the Butte Inter Mountain with a termination “s,” is advertising at Yakima, W.T., for his lost boy, Hoomes K. Freeman, who skipped from the old man Freeman’s clutches.  Hoomes is no good if he returns to old man Freeman’s bosom.



      Kaufman’s new sign is attractive.

      Kaufman has moved his Glendale stock to the city and will close it out at very low prices.


Incidental and Interesting Items – Personal Paragraphs Pertaining to the People of that Place

      “Sandy seed and cinnamon bottom.”

      Three furnaces in full blast once more.

      This is the way they long have sought, and have got.

      Postmaster E.O. Hulsizer was off on a secret quartz expedition.

      The furnaces, under the charge of G.G. Earle, are running very smoothly.

      Ed Jones, a brother of Sheriff Jones, has taken charge of the Glendale drug store.

      Tom Sappington, superintendent of the Hecla Co.’s ore contracts, is performing excellent work.

      Dave Evans will remove his family into Glendale to give his children the benefit of  public school.

      The Glendale public school, with Prof. Woods and Miss Evans in charge is in a flourishing condition.

      Dr. Jones is prescribing and administering medical relief to fellow mortals needing professional services.

      Charcoal Contractor McLain, who runs thirteen kilns, is furnishing most of the charcoal for the Hecla furnaces.

      Billy Cook, the popular compounder of prescriptions at Jones’ drug store, resigned his position at that store, and will engage in business for himself.

      Levi Cartier, who know a heap about prime beef cattle, has bought a large number of beef steers on Horse Prairie, which he intends to winter on Big Hole Basin hay.

      Lon Pickett struck his destiny when he learned to keep a hotel.  Lon, evidently, was molded for a landlord.  People who stop at his hotel say so, and  - vox populi settles it.

      Henry Pond, the old-time Glendale merchant and Recording Secretary of the Pioneers’ Society of Beaverhead County, attends to a good run of customers and finds time to record the pedigrees of Pioneers.

      The Hecla Mercantile Co. has moved its dry goods department into the commodious brick lately vacated by Kaufman.  In the new quarters the company will have ample room to display its stock and meet the run of customers.

      Judge Thomas presides over the local Glendale court with a stern impartiality commended by friend and foe alike.  If there is anything the Judge is noted for it is the dealing of equal and exact justice out to all who are arraigned in his court.

      Henry Kappes is the busy, wide awake business man of Glendale.  He is superintendent of the Hecla Mercantile Company, with houses at Glendale, Lion City and Melrose.  Kappes is sharp enough to “copper the turn” in all business deals and come out winner.

      The Thanksgiving ball, given by the young men of Glendale, eclipsed everything of the kind ever witnessed in the town.  Seventy-three couples were in the grand march.  The supper was a magnificent spread, and those in attendance had a most enjoyable time.

      The ghost that inhabited the burnt ruins of the old Avery House has packed his shroud and decamped.  This will be news to several of the married men of Glendale who have been in the lonesome habit of hunting home about the time the first bell for breakfast sounded in the morning.

      Miss Carson, milliner of Dillon, will be in Glendale on Monday and Tuesday, December 12th and 13th, with a complete stock of Millinery Goods.  The ladies are invited to call.

      E.O. Hulsizer, postmaster at Glendale has sent in his resignation of that office.  The postoffice at Glendale is liable to go begging, as the salary is not a sufficient inducement for a first class unterrified Democrat to accept the office.

1887 DEC 30

       A limited fund of information of a reliable character relating to the full resumption of mining and smelting operations by the Hecla Consolidated Company, at Glendale, may be offered as an excuse for not giving its operations in details or showing its output in tabular form.  The shutting down of the company’s furnaces for a part of the current year, has materially and necessarily curtailed its annual output of base bullion.  Dead furnaces do not produce.  In resuming smelting the company fired up, one after another, its furnaces and have for some time past the three stacks have been running constantly, with a per diem product up to its former standard.  This state of the Hecla Company is gratifying, for it is the largest mining enterprise in Beaverhead county, and one upon which the second largest community in the county is almost entirely dependent for is prosperity.  The company’s mines, and especially the operated and producing ones, are reported to be showing finely, with ore reserves in sight, opened and developed of sufficient dimensions to insure an ore supply for the furnaces for a long time to come.  The management of the company’s business affairs continues, as formerly, under the careful and watchful superintendency of Mr. Knippenberg, who is ably assisted in the different departments by experienced and trusted superintendents who are efficient managers of the parts given into their charge.  With a present outlook that is perfectly satisfactory, and with a most promising showing for the future, the Hecla Company is well conditioned.

Copyright © 2008, IOGR Productions, All Rights Reserved.